Year 9 Choices
Learning a modern language is a valuable life skill and genuinely opens doors in the work place and in life in general. We believe that all students should study a modern foreign language and be able to use the skills taught across the whole curriculum.
The GCSE course in Modern Languages offers a demanding yet fulfilling learning experience. Students at Thorns will study a GCSE course which is examined and marked externally in four skills (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing) at the end of the course. Each skill is worth 25% of the final grade.
Topics covered will include:
- Family and Relationships
- Customs and Festivals
- Leisure activities
- Work and Education
- Future Plans
Work covered in Key Stage 3 will be expanded and built upon. The four Language skills of Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking will be practised and assessed in a variety of ways. You will:
- Listen to lots of different recordings
- Prepare a conversation, description of a photo and role-play for the speaking exam
- Study the concepts and grammar of the language
- Learn written translation skills
- Read and respond to a variety of short texts
- Learn how to write in a variety of formats
Although the course is demanding, requiring an excellent attitude to learning and competent revision skills, it will provide you with a great platform for colleges and universities.