Year 9 Choices
All students at Thorns in Year 10 and 11 study GCSE Product Design. It is an exciting creative course which emphasises design, experimentation, independent thinking and the application of practical skills. This challenging but rewarding curriculum offers students the opportunity to develop an in depth knowledge and understanding of a specific material area from the following list:-
- Electronic systems, programmable components and mechanical devices.
- Papers and boards
- Natural and manufactured timber
- Ferrous and non – ferrous metals
- Thermoforming and thermosetting
The course is divided into two parts, a coursework section worth 50% and an examination paper worth 50%. Both sections will then be combined to produce an overall GCSE result. For the controlled assessment part of the course students will be given the opportunity to pick from a selection of design briefs / themes provided by the examining board. Students research, generate and develop ideas through extensive modelling and testing. A final design is then produced using a range of skills including CAD CAM technology to a prototype standard and then tested and trialled with the target user.
The examination section of the course focuses on material specific knowledge as well as a general understanding of Design and Technology principles which include the application of mathematical and engineering principles.
Essential skills / characteristics for success
- Hardworking, focussed attitude.
- Desire to learn and willingness to work on areas of weakness.
- The ability to problem solve and experiment.
- A developing level of creativity in design and practical areas.
- The ability to learn and recall key subject knowledge in exam conditions.
- To be resilient and the best that you possibly can.
- Be prepared to meet the challenges and high expectations set by the teacher.