We are maintaining a simple, yet strict uniform policy. Research shows that school uniform plays a critical role in contributing to the ethos of a school. If students are dressed for success and look smart, it can instill a sense of pride, aspiration and can also support positive behaviour and discipline.
The following items of uniform can be purchased from a wide range of high street shops and supermarkets:
- Black shoes (plain black, polishable leather-type shoes, with no logos, colours, coloured laces or trims)
- A black blazer (new Thorns badge will be provided for you free of charge no later than September)
- Smart black trousers – (no jeans, jeggings, jean-style trousers or leggings) OR a plain black knee length or ankle length skirt
- Plain white shirt (long or short sleeves) – tucked in with top button fastened
- Optional plain black V-neck jumper or long-sleeved cardigan
- Plain black or white socks
- Head scarves or salwar kameez, if worn, should be plain black.
- A sensible, waterproof coat
- Black academy tie with embroidered Thorns logo
The new blazer badge will be provided to you free of charge. We expect the badge to be sewn or attached securely to the blazer within the first two weeks of term (provided there are no delays from our supplier).
The new academy tie will be available to purchase from Thorns. We will inform you when it is available. It will be subsidised so you will be able to purchase it at a reduced cost. We expect all students to be wearing the new black academy tie.
- Blazers are to be worn at all times (unless permission is granted by a member of staff to remove them)
- No extreme hairstyles e.g. shaved patterns or bright colours
- Trainers or boots are not permitted. Please refer to the photographs on our website and social media sites for further clarification regarding acceptable footwear
- Only one ring is permitted
- A maximum of one small stud per ear is permitted (maximum 5mm diameter)
- Make-up, if worn, must be discrete
- No facial piercings (one small nose stud is permitted)
- No bright nail varnish/nail extensions
- No wide fashion belts
- No bracelets or necklaces
- No baseball caps
- Hoodies are not permitted (apart from Thorns PE hoodie which is only to be worn as required for PE lessons)
We believe that these clear guidelines and long notice period will enable all students to be in the correct uniform at the start of term in September.
If there is a uniform issue at any time during the year, please ensure that your child brings a note (to their Form Teacher) to explain the problem. The note should also explain when you expect the problem to be resolved. Students who arrive at school wearing incorrect uniform, without a valid reason, will be placed in BMS until the issue is resolved.