Creative Digital Media Production – BTEC

The BTEC First Award in Creative Digital Media Production can help you take your first steps towards a career in the digital industry. You’ll learn essential skills such as planning and pitching a digital media product, digital publishing and producing a website.

Creative Digital Media Production is designed to enhance your enjoyment, understanding and appreciation of the media and its role in your daily life. The course introduces you both to media ideas and the practice of production, which gives you the chance to develop a real understanding of media platforms, the contemporary media landscape and the influential role of the media in today’s society.

  • Read more

    The rationale behind the qualification is to:

    • Inspire and enthuse learners to consider a career in the creative digital media industries, rather than just to participate in media recreationally, for example surfing the web or playing video games
    • Give learners the opportunity to gain a broad understanding and knowledge, and develop skills, across the creative digital media sectors, e.g. moving image, audio production, games design, website design and publishing
    • Support progression to a more specialised level 3 vocational or academic media qualification or an apprenticeship

    The qualification consists of two core units and two optional units of work. The core units of work are:

    • Unit 1: Digital Media Sectors and Audiences – in this unit learners will explore the digital media industry and all five key sectors that fall under it (Digital Moving Image, Digital Audio Production, Digital Publishing, Website Production and Digital Games Production). They will also explore the different types of audiences and how audiences can engage with each sector.
    • Unit 2: Planning and Pitching a Digital Media Product – in this unit learners will use their verbal, written and visual communication skills to enable them to formulate, develop and pitch ideas of a product that they then plan to produce.

    The optional specialist units offered within the qualification build on the core units and provide learners with an opportunity to develop a wider understanding and appreciation the creative digital media sectors. Currently we deliver the following units of work:

    • Unit 5: Digital Publishing Production – in this unit, learners will gain the knowledge and skills required for the design and development of digital publishing products.

    They will also have an overview of how to source materials and then combine them. Learners will organise and manage the production of a digital publishing product.

    • Unit 6: Website Production – in this unit, learners will explore the technical requirements for website production: how to organise and manage the production of a website, plan and prepare suitable content, and create hyperlinks between pages.

    Unit 1 is externally assessed through a written exam and is worth 25% of the final qualification. The remaining 3 units of work are internally assessed and make up the remaining 75% of the qualification. Internal assessment enables learners to receive feedback on their progress throughout the course as they gather and provide evidence towards meeting the unit assessment criteria.

    For further information see Mrs J Sihota, Head of ICT